As you all may know, I was a vegetarian for nearly 8 years. I recently (within the past 3 weeks) started eating meat (occasionally.) I am not sure if I will keep this change, but for now I eat meat in moderation.
There are so many wonderful protein choices that are non- meat that we choose instead that suit us quite well. However, should we eat out, J will always eat a burger or something. This means a lot of the restaurants we choose need to accommodate both of our food preferences.
We ate at a few really great restaurants in the New York City (where we visited in the spring) that I wanted to list below that accommodated both J and I, and located all over the city.
- Ummberger @ 99 FIRST AVENUE, NEW YORK, NY 10003
While this place is not vegetarian, they have loads of veggie options, like buffalo cauliflower bites (our fave) and veggie burgers (unbelievably good.)
-This was our favorite place we ate.
P.S. Kitchen: @ 246 W 48th St, New York, NY 10036 = $$
This place is for completely vegan plates & bar snacks with style, plus they donate all of their profits to charity.– This is a bit pricey, with GREAT ambiance.– J wasn’t a fan of this place ( it was vegan and gluten free) but I LOVED it.
- Blossom du Jour @ 617 9th Ave, New York, NY 10036 = $
“Vegan cold-pressed juices, sandwiches, soups & salads presented in tranquil surroundings.”
– this was just a juice stop, but SO good.
– there are MANY locations of this one.
- Sweet Green @1164 Broadway, New York, NY 10001 = $
This is a salad shop with AMAZING salads!! (even though it’s a chain) it was deliiiiicious.
- The Hummus & Pita Co. @585 6th Ave, New York, NY 10011 = $
This Mediterranean place was a “build your own” type of deal. GREAT pitas and hummus.
- Tofu Tofu Korean Tofu & BBQ Restaurant @96 Bowery, New York, NY 10013= $
This was actually our first meal in NYC. the service was amazing, atmosphere was great, bottomless tea, comfort food, and I saw a broadway star there!
- MO Gelato @178 Mulberry St, New York, NY 10012 =$
Great place for dessert.
- Milk Bar Upper West Side @ 561 Columbus Ave, New York, NY 10024 =$
We are obsessed with Master Chef JR, so we had to get one of Christina’s cookies.
-there are TONS of these locations
And of course there are great bagel places, and coffee shops everywhere.